Sixth Sense is a gestural interface device that augments the physical world around us with digital information and lets us use natural hand gestures to interact with that information. The Sixth Sense prototype is comprised of a wearable eyewear interface like Spectacles which have a projector and a camera embedded in them. Both the projector and camera are connected to the mobile computing device in the user’s pocket via Bluetooth. The projector projects visual information enabling surfaces, walls and physical objects around us to be used as interfaces; while camera recognizes and track user’s hand gestures and physical objects using computer-vision based techniques. The software program processes the video stream data captured by the camera and tracks the locations of the colored markers (visual tracking aids) worn at the tip of user’s fingers using simple computer vision techniques. The movements and arrangements of these aids are interpreted into gestures that act as interaction instructions for projected application interfaces. The maximum number of tracked fingers is only constrained by the number of unique wearable aids, thus Sixth Sense would also support multi-touch andmulti-user interface.
This project deals with Electronics and image processing combination based on sixth sense technology to help the people to interact with technology in very easy way. This sixth sense technology helps the user to use the technology with physical action in the way of fun.
Technology in sixth sense
Various technology involved in sixth sense are as follows:
- Image Processing.
- Classic mechanical design.
The SixthSense technology contains a pocket projector, a camera contained in a head-mounted glass wearable device.. Both the projector and the camera are connected to a mobile computing device in the user’s pocket. The projector projects visual information enabling surfaces, walls and physical objects around us to be used as interfaces; while the camera recognizes and tracks users’ hand gestures and physical objects using computer-vision based techniques. The software program processes the video stream data captured by the camera and tracks the locations of the colored markers (visual tracking fiducials) at the tips of the user’s fingers. The movements and arrangements of these fiducials are interpreted into gestures that act as interaction instructions for the projected application interfaces. SixthSense supports multi-touch and multi-user interaction
The electronics part of the sixth sense eye glass contains 5 megapixel small camera in one side of the glass for acquiring the environment, Spice small mobile projector in one side of the eyeglass to project the computer screen in the hand or wall and Xbee is embedded in the one side temple of eyeglass which helps to communicate to the CPU of the computer and battery is placed very compact in another side of the temple of eyeglass and earphones are embedded in both temple tips of the eyeglass which helps to give a good quality of sound. These are electronics part of the sixth sense of the eyeglass.
Image processing plays a vital role in the sixth sense technology which helps the user to interact with the electronics gadget in a physical action, the image processing observes the hand movements and the hand gestures every second to process the action accordingly what the user wants, and the image processing not only observes the hand movements and hand gestures, it also observes the environments and gives all kinds of information of the environment.
TASKS THAT CAN BE PERFORMED USING SIXTH SENSE
- Four colored cursors are controlled by four fingers wearing different colored markers in real time. The projector displays video feedback to the user on a vertical wall.
- The projector displays a map on the wall, and the user can control the map using zoom and pan gestures.
- The user can make a frame gesture to instruct the camera take a picture. It is hinted that the photo will be automatically cropped to remove the user’s hands.
- The system could project multiple photos on a wall, and the user could sort, re-size and organize them with gestures. This application was called Reality Window Manager (RWM) in Mann’s head worn implementation of Sixth Sense.
- A number pad is projected onto the user’s palm, and the user can dial a phone number by touching his palm with a finger. It was hinted that the system is able to pin point the location of the palm. It was also hinted the camera and projector are able to adjust themselves for surfaces that are not horizontal
- The user can pick up a product in supermarket (e.g. a package of paper towels), and the system could display related information (e.g. the amount of bleach used) back on the product itself.
- The system can recognize any book picked up by the user and display Amazon rating on the book cover.
- As the user opens a book, the system can display additional information such as reader’s comments.
- The system is able to recognize individual pages of a book and display annotation by the user’s friend. This demo also hinted the system’s ability to handle tilted surface.
- The system is able to recognize newspaper articles and project the most recent video on the news event on a blank region of the newspaper.
- The system is able to recognize people by their appearances and project a word cloud of related information retrieved from the internet on the person’s body.
- The system is able to recognize a boarding pass and display related information such as flight delay and gate change.
Benefits of this gesture interface based wearable eyewear are
This eyewear can be used for entertainment, the reasons why this eyewear will be advantage more than any other product now as follows
- Easy to use with hand gestures and tapping
- Makes your spinal cord healthier
- Easy to follow instructions to make things
Hand gestures and tapping:
Using the eye wear just by doing hand gestures and tapping will be fun and easy to use too especially in panic scenario.
Taking pictures and video will be going to add more fun using hand gestures, which helps to take any scene without missing it, like as we miss to take some valuable and funny photos in a short time because of time to open camera in mobile.
This helps to helps to scan barcode, medicine info, book info, etc
Absent to class for weeks, missed all notes given by staff? NO problem, Now you scan the notes to digital just by single tap.
In this product earphone and microphone is inbuilt, so u can hear music, can interact with the eyewear using voice interaction too.
Now we can watch movies, photos..etc. anywhere any time just in your hand.
Makes your spinal cord healthier:
We live in a time when mobile devices have become the de-facto of everyday life. Most of us check our phone several times a day, to check e-mails, send e-mails, surf the net, etc. Some of us watch movies on our tablets or read on our tablets or read e-books on our e-reader while on the go.
If you’re a mobile phone, tablet, or e-reader user, time to took up (literally). A new study published in the journal Surgical Technology International suggests that typically mobile surfing posture is the equivalent of placing a 60-lbs/ 27-kg weight on one’s neck.
So this can be eliminated by the eyewear glass as this product helps to change the posture of surfing or watching movies, etc. on the go, now this product is making us happy and healthier too.
Easy to follow instructions:
Want to cook on your own, pull up the step by step YouTube video in your eyeball.
For following instruction in real time to make things on your own this eyewear glass is the best.
This eyewear is best tool for directionally challenged weather in your car, on you bike or hiking around. You get a permanent readout where you are and where you want to go.
The call for police accountability has led to a national push for body camera on cops. Two bills related to body cameras have been proposed in the Florida legislature.
The same surveillance using camera can be used by this eyewear glass, the major advantage over the body cameras is that if the cop uses eyewear camera type surveillance he or she can able to record things what he or she see.And this eyewear can be used not only as a surveillance camera but it can also be used is many ways as a cop.
This helps for our Indian Cops to build a secure nation.